Monday, September 9, 2013

REVIEW : Beautiful Darkness ( Castor Chronicles #2)

Beautiful Creatures

Castor Chronicles #2
Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Pub: Oct 2010 / Little, Brown and Co.

Pages: 503 Pages

Source: Bought Hardback Version
Links: Goodreads / Amazon 



Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.




Sometimes life-ending. Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.



                    My Thoughts                     

Welcome back to Gatlin ! Beautiful Darkness is the second book in Castor Chronicles. As much as I loved this series for being unique and original, a refreshing change from your usual Vamprie / Werewolf delima,  I do feel that book two was a bit of a let down compared to book one. It sufferd from what I like to call Book-Two-Itis

In a Nut Shell

In Beautiful Darkness we return to Gatlin, which to me is one of my favorite bookish towns. I wish so bad that I could visit to see and meet the awesome quirky people that call Gatlin home! We start with Macons funeral and Lena is just not handleing things well. Having never recovered from everything that went down at the end of book one, she pushes Ethan away. She starts hanging around with mysterious bad boy John Breed and Ridley, and pulls further and furter way from Ethan. Olivia "Liv" is a newbie in town, working as a keeper in training. Liv, Ethan and Link go on the hunt to find Lena, to keep her from going dark before the 17th moon. To top it all off, Ethan is still getting visions and flash backs, and all along getting maybe a little to close for comfort to Liv.

It's hard for me to tell you how I feel about this book without giving too much of it away.
I really enjoyed Ethan Liv and Link's search for Lena in the Castor tunnels. I love novels that have tunnels or labyrinths ( sorry no explination, just love it ). Maybe its the fact that you never know where a tunnel will take you, either way I think these Castor tunnels made this book very exciting. I have always had an issue with Lena, even in my review for Beautiful Creatures I thought she was always pushing Ethan away. Ethan is a great guy, he might actually be the best bookish boyfriend! He is always so persistant on his relationship with Lena, even thought they can't have a physical one. Lena is always so sad and alway finding a reason to not be happy about being with him.That really is the main reason I can't give this book 5 stars, I just don't like Lena as a character. Anyways So many other great charcters that I can't wait to see what is in store for them, especially with the new school year comming up, and the not so human students attending it. I will for sure continue to read this series. I give it 3 1/2 stars .

2 comments:

  1. I gave it about the same rating and basically for the same reason. I dont like Lena. Also, the major events at the end of the first two books still have me confused so I'm hoping the third and fourth clear it up and make things better. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, I do hope this series gets better, i really want it to, but for me Lena is going to have to commit and stop this hard to get and my life sucks stuff.. she needs to woman up . I agree that there were alot of un explained events from the first book.. im hoping for the best. - Katie

      Delete