Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books to get you in the Halloween Spirit.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by 

Broke and The Bookish

This Week's Topic is:


Top ten books to get you in the HALLOWEEN spirit 

Ok, This Tuesday we are trying something different. we are going to give the top five  of two topics. we are going to share with you our top 5 books to get you in the halloween spirit ( by Katie) and our top 5 bookish / movie characters to be for halloween (by Krisha)

Top 5 books to get you in the Halloween Spirit

1: Coraline - by Neil Gainman 

althought this has been made into a childrens movie, don't get confused. this is a creepy book, wonderfull book but definitly disturbing. Its about a girl who find a secret door in her house that take her to a different dimension of her own life, where she has an "other mother" and "other father" everything is great and they love her so much, but they don't want her to leave ... EVER. in fact they want her to sew button in her eyes just like them, and stay there with them forever.. so Coraline must find  way to escape back home and save her "real" parents. 

2: The Graveyard Book - by Neil Gainman

another great and creepy Neil Gainman Novel. Imagine The Jungle Book, but instead of an orphan being raised in the wild by animals.... picture an orphan in a graveyard being raised by ghost.. SERIOUSLY. great book for halloween for sure. 

3: The Noctourns - by John Connolly

From the same author of my favorite book " The Book of Lost Things", Connolly also wrote a book of short scary stories called "The Nocturnes" there is some super bone chilly stories in there.. i have not read all of the stories, but one of the stories in there called " The New Daughter" is great. The New Daughter is only about 6 pages long, but after reading i found that they had made a movie with this plot. check out the movie trailer ! i need to rent this asap

4: Anything by R.L Stine 

I've always been a fan of R.L Stine. I read a handfull of Fear Street Novles, and I have read about 90% of the goosebumps books. some of my favorites worth metioning are : Welcome to Dead House, Say Cheese and Die, Piano Lessons can be Murder,  One day at HorrorLand, Night of the Living Dummy, Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes,... seriously i am getting nestilgic naming these.. i can't wait till i have kids this age , i can't wait to read these again in the future. 

5: In a Dark, Dark room and other scary stories- retold by Alvin Schwartz 

these are a collection of scary stories for kids, and i did read these in elementary school, but one story from this book stuck with me all these years. "The Green Ribbon" if you haven't heard it before, here is a short youtube video to check out that reads the short story with illustrations. 



Top 5 bookish characters i would be for Halloween 

I decided this week to choose characters from books that I could see myself as for Halloween.  And, yes, I cheated and used books that have been made into movies.  -Krisha


1.  Effie Trinkett from The Hunger Games 

 I really liked how Collins described the people from the Capitol.  Everything is waaay over the top.  I think that anything extravagant and ridiculous would be fun.


2. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter

Rowling describes Hermione in the books as having much frizzier hair than Emma Watson ever had in the movies.  I could totally pull it off. 


3. Arwen Evenstar from The Lord of the Rings trilogy

I just always thought I'd look pretty with elf ears.  


4. Elphaba from Wicked

 Once again we've got pointy ears.  And what a great book!


5.  The White Queen from Through the Looking Glass

Dressed in all white would be hard to keep clean through Halloween night especially with all the junk food I'd be eating, but this would be another fun costume.  



Do you have some halloween reads reconmentaions? and What would your bookish halloween character be?let us know in the comments, and thanks for stopping by Inkk!








23 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post as you did it with choosing 5 characters to be for Halloween. Fun!

    New follower.

    Check out my Top 10

    Holly @ Words Fueled by Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks holly , i really enjoyed your list too! thanks for stopping by! -katie

      Delete
  2. Great post, I like the books you chose - all on my TBR pile :)
    And costumes are great! Hermione and Effie particularly :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah neil gainman is great, and i single handedly started the "goosebumps club" in my middle school... way back when. <-- super cool girl obviously!
      thanks for stopping by ! -katie

      Delete
  3. I totally remember The Green Ribbon! I loved that one. Great lists. Effie and the White Queen would be my top picks for costumes :)
    My TTT: http://nightmareonbookstreet.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-ten-tuesday-get-me-in-mooood.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know right, i always find myself thinking about that story, thank god for google that gives me the ability to type in " girl with ribbon around her neck" and take me straight to the source of the story. glad you liked the costumes! and thanks for stopping by elizabeth! -katie

      Delete
  4. I love everything by Neil Gaiman but don't find it particularly scary. Coraline was rather creepy though. The film version is a good choice for Halloween :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah , graveyard book wasnt all that scary but coraline was super creepy at times with that "other mother". what other books do you love of his. i always want to read it, but them i am swayed away at last minute. if you got any good recommendations let me know! thanks, katie

      Delete
  5. Oh I love this! I haven't read RL Stine in years. But his books are perfect. As is Neil Gainman. And The Dark Dark Room - I haven't thought of that one in years. Also love your costume choices. Thanks for stopping by my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks girl , i wish i still had some goosebumps lying around. i do miss those! glad you liked the costumes and thanks for stopping by ! -katie

      Delete
  6. Loved Coraline. Such a creepy read! I love that you added your own spin with the 5 characters you would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, krisha doesnt read many scary books, so she thought costumes would be fun, and they turned out great ! glad you liked them. thanks for stopping by! -katie

      Delete
  7. 1st of all: oh my geez I love this post, the colors and everything, it's so awesome! :D I'm going to need to follow your blog, it's amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks emily! glad you like it, i love the feedback!!!! ;) Katie

      Delete
  8. Oh and thanks for the comment on my blog. (: I'll be sure to be stopping by yours a lot now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your choices for costumes.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT

    Sabina @ Delirious About Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sweet! thanks for stopping by! yeah costumes were a good touch, those were krisha's idea. -katie

      Delete
  10. Aah I loved "the book of lost things" too! (had it on last week's list actually) I didn't realise Connoly had another book out apart from thrillers.
    I didn't even do a top 10 this week because I literally couldn't think of ANY halloweeny books so I'm glad to have some recommendations! :)
    PS. Effie would be an awesome costume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i know right.. i think its his only other one that not part of his regular thrillers. i had bought it because the nocturnes cover looked so much like the book of lost things covers. its no " book of lost things " but it is great short scary stores. i read one every now and then, and i was super excited to see they had made a movie out of one already. im so glad you read TBOLT, it literally is my fav book ever! thanks for stopping by! -katie

      Delete
  11. Yay for Neil Gaiman! ♥♥♥
    I LOVED your costume character choices. How FUN would that be!?!??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks girl, and thanks for stopping by - katie

      Delete
  12. Shamefully, I haven't read anything by Neil Gaiman, but I love his Doctor Who eps! (I definitely need to amend this, though...) I love that you added Bookish Costumes. I went as Hermione when I was little! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks girl. the costumes were krishas idea.. because she doesnt really read scary books, but it turned out so well. and yes neil gainmans coraline was amazing. you should at least read that one , even if you have seen the movie! thanks for stopping by! -katie

      Delete