Thursday, March 25, 2021

Review


The Knife of Never Letting Go

Patrick Ness

Publication date: July, 2014

Candlewick

Source: Audio book  

Links : Goodreads / Amazon 

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.


                    My Thoughts                   

Originally it was hard to get into. there were so many thoughts that Todd and the rest of the men were thinking, and all of them were to be read. It became a little wordy but after a while I was able to get used to it. In truth, I picked up this book originally because I saw the movie trailer for Chaos Walking and thought wow that looks great, and it has been a while since I have read a good dystopian book. After getting into the book there were a couple of things I was let down on. 

In the movie trailer both Todd and Viola seem to be older teens at least, however in the book Todd is just supposed to be turning 13, according to Viola he may be 14 already but still. way younger than I was envisioning. Granted the book came first, but if this is meant to be someone of a romance down the line I wish they would have started at an older age. 
<--- Check out this picture, these actors are 25 and 28. For sure doesn't look like 13 year olds!

My other issue is I wish there was more explanation about their "new world" in the beginning. A little world explanation would have gone a long way. Things are explained throughout the book but I really had too many lingering questions in the beginning.  Other than that it was over all a good listen, and I will probably continue on with the series to see if it picks up from here. 

Looking forward to see how the Movie turns out. I will post a movie review once I have watched it! 






No comments:

Post a Comment