Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday 9/11





















Top Ten Tuesday is Hosted by 
Todays topic is 

Top Ten Books That Make You Think (About The World, People, Life, etc.)
*Warning* here at Inkk we read mostly light hearted young adult books, so it was extremely hard for us to come up with 5 book each, that make you think about life and the world.. but we tried our best.

the way we are going to do "Top Ten Tuesday" here at Inkk is that we will both (Katie and Krisha ) give you our top 5 picks, to give you a total of 10. It is likely however that we may share some of the same ideas, that just goes to show you how we think alike. 





1.Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Katie: I do love this book, and its one of the more "serious" books ive read. About Bullying and what a large impact your words have others. Great book!

2. Divergent By Veronica Roth

Krisha: Divergent By Veronica Roth made me think about the nature vs nurture.  How much of who we are is in our genes and how much is from how we were raised?  I don't think I really knew myself well enough at 16 to make such a big decision that would affect my future the way it changed Tris'.

3&4. Uglies By Scott Westerfeld


Katie: The Uglies By Scott Westerfeld  i would say is very thought provoking. In a world where when you turn 16 you undergo a surgery to be "pretty" and join the rest of the pretty society, you also lose the part that makes you , you. after all beauty is only skin deep. are you an ugly or a pretty?  

Krisha: The Uglies By Scott Westerfeld .In the waaaaay background of the story is a tale about how people of our world today are too dependent on oil.  The fragmented, "perfect" societies of the Uglies is the result of when all that oil was gone.  Made me stop for a moment to think about how my life would be different if I didn't have transportation to see friends and family.

5. The Art of Racing in the Rain, By Garth Stein

Krisha:The Art of Racing in the Rain by GarthStein is told from the dog's perspective from puppy to adult.  I'm an animal lover and sometimes wonder how much my pups understand what's going on.

6. The Maze Runner , by James Dashner



Katie: The Maze Runner by James Dashner is about a world that is dying from a plague called the "flare". A group of people calling themselves W.I.C.K.E.D are doing studies, experiment, and trials to find a cure... but is it morally ok that they are doing these trials on Humans that are un-consenting and don't know where they are, or how they got there? Maze runner is told from the point of view of a boy in the trials, thinking they are in some kind of maze, and trying to find a way out

7. The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins

  
Katie : The Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins, or any post-apocallyptic book out there always makes me think, about our society and about what it could be like in the future. 

8. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Krisha: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald I Read in 9th grade and was introduced to "foreshadowing".  Totally changed the way I read books.  I was re-reading books prior to this, but now I try to pick up on hints I missed the first time around because I didn't know the ending.

9. The Lightning Thief , by Rick Riordan

Katie: The Lightning Thief By Rick Riordan, and the rest of the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" Series were probably the books i "learned" the most from. These books are such a great read, and without knowing you will learn sooooo much greek mythology you will feel like an Anthropologist! 

10. Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen

Krisha: Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen. This book had me thinking about the great circuses of the 1930's and the life of those that were a part of it.  For weeks after reading this book, I spent a lot of time on-line looking at old photos and reading true accounts from performers.



8 comments:

  1. 13 Reasons Why made my list too. New follower by the way. Check out my TTT.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my all time favorites here. Water for Elephants always in my top 10. But I have been preaching Uglies as a YA must read for a while now. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes uglies is an amazing series , i always try to spread the word on Tally-wa! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  3. I really liked Divergent and The Hunger Games series too. I so need to get to The Maze Runner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was definitely and interesting plot, not one you normally see.
      thanks for stopping by!
      -Katie @ Inkk

      Delete
  4. Divergent is such a good choice! I can't believe I forgot that one! Thanks for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is definitely thought provoking. I love the quizzes online to see what faction you would belong in. Just google it, there are so many options.
      Thanks for your comment!
      -Krisha @ Inkk

      Delete