Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Top ten books you would take on a deserted island


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by 

Broke and The Bookish

This Week's Topic is:

Top Ten Book you would take with you on a Deserted Island

#1 Because I'm a survivor, not going to give up:

Krisha: Let me start off by saying that if I was in any kind of survival situation and could only have one person with me, Les Stroud would be the man.   I've seen every episode of Survivorman and he is so smart.  He understands how the human body works and is very knowledgeable about the world.  That being said, I imagine that this book is awesome and I just put it on my Christmas list.


#2 Because this will show me how to build a hut.. as illustrated by "hunky men" 

Kaite: no lie.. this is an excerpt from an editorial review of this book. It speaks for itself! 
"this brief entry in the Prepare to Survive series blithely shows readers washed up alone on a tropical island how easy it is to find water, build a platform shelter, catch fish (or, failing that, bugs), start a fire, and contact rescuers. The frequent illustrations feature color photos of hunky men and members of the cast of the TV show Survivor, plus occasional simplified diagrams of a solar still, the correct way to escape quicksand, "




 # 3 Because I'll be hungry (as always): 

Krisha: Kind of a boring choice but it is described as a "stimulating volume for the economic botanist, gardener, researcher, experimenter, and for the wild-food buff".  I think I fall into a few of those categories.  Don't want to even come close to eating nightlark. It didn't work out too well for Foxface or Seneca Crane.  Right, Peeta?

# 4 Because we are bound to get hurt Climbing trees for coconuts  

Katie: while krisha searches for food ( and ill trust her not to feed me some nightlark)  ill search for some plants that reduce swelling, reduce fever... or more importantly ... help deal with our caffine withdrawal headaches we will both suffer from... maybe this island grows coffee beans?!??





#5 Because $hit may get real on that island:


Krisha:You never know what might happen on the island.  Being somewhat of a pessimist, I'm always thinking of the worst case scenario.  Did anyone ever play this board came?  I actually thought it was fun.

Katie:... ha ha ha.. still laughing THIS IS MY FAVORITE 



# 6 Because some times you gotta "go with the flow"

Katie: if we aren't going to be rescued, then we will have to rescue ourselves ! given plenty of time, im sure Krisha and I can rig up . The U.S.S Inkk
IM ON A BOAT! seriously ever "deserted island movie" i have seen, the cast aways always make a raft.. and it always FAILS!! not this time ! 




# 7 Because I assume Katie will be there with me and you never know who'll save us:


Krisha: Hola. Me encantan los libros!  Katie can speak Spanish and maybe this would be a way to pass the time by me learning it.  I took French in school.  Maybe I should learn anyway... ¿Habla usted español?





# 8 Because I'll need an inspirational island story...

Katie: I haven't read this book yet, but i know the gist of what its about, and I have seen the trailer for the up and comming new movie.. ( which looks awesome )  

but LETS GET REAL if this guy can make it on a raft to an island with a FREAKIN TIGER on the boat then im golden ! 

# 9 Because this book is a paper version of my security blanket


Krisha: If you've been around this blog much, then you know how much I love this book.  I've read it so many times and it just never gets old.  If I did start to tire of it, I guess I'd start reading more of the above books.







#10 Because I need a book I dont mind reading 100 times 

Katie : I don't re-read books much, but The Book of Lost Things is my favorite book. Not only have i read it about three times, but ive also bought it twice, gave my first copy to a student who needed a good book on her car trip. Not to mention its jam packed with grimm fairy tales in the back. A bonus pack of entertainment! 



We had SOOOOO much fun with this weeks list! We love our books, but when it comes to survival we are hard core!  Other subjects of books we would would bring would be: Books on how to read the stars / constalations, Books to show us how to build a bow and arrow ( I am Katniss ! ) and Puzzles to keep our brains sharp. 
Happy Reading 
~ Krisha & Katie


32 comments:

  1. Haha great choice! Love the survival guides. Pity those hunky men aren't around in the flesh though :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know right.. illustrations will have to do for the time being! thanks for stopping by! - Katie

      Delete
  2. Great list! It looks like you're all set for survival! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, have to plan for the worst island ever... just in case

      Delete
  3. I love the book about edible plants! I can't believe I didn't think about the plants. Great job! (SO SMART) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm a Forestry major and actually think about that a lot. I really am always hungry. I love finding blackberries in the woods!

      ~Krisha

      Delete
  4. I love that you picked such smart choices for your confinement on the island! Survivorman could totally help with keeping you alive and well! Clearly my choices would just leave me withering away to nothing.

    But so glad you picked Life of Pi and The Time Traveler's Wife to keep you entertained.

    Though the Worst Case Scenario book would be awesome to have! Awesome picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a fun list to think up, though I've had some planned out for a while. :) Your choices were way more fun than ours, I liked them and added a few more to my TBR list. Thanks for stopping by!
      ~Krisha

      Delete
  5. Your list is so different than all the others I've seen, love that!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    200 Followers Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helène! We have too many books on our "to be read" list to stay stuck on that island forever! And Katie & I are definitely a Katniss at heart. We'd make it.
      Thanks checking out our TTT!
      ~Krisha

      Delete
  6. I love playing the Worst Case Scenario board game, still want to read Life of Pi, and love your choice of learning Spanish (I took French too). :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for stopping by my blog.. i totally love your TTT and I am adding many of them to my TBR.. loved and enjoyed Life of Pi and looking forward to the movie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my TTT :)
    I love your picks, I think they'd be very useful should if you actaully stranded on a deserted island hehe
    I've got The timetravelers wife on my TBR list, but I think I'll need to read that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah TTW is great, and we were going for absolute . crap hit the ceiling type of island.. im sure we will be too busy trying to survive , finding food and shelter.. most likely little time to read . thanks for stopping by! - Katie

      Delete
  9. What an incredibly practical list. I didn't go there at all. I went with the "how to pass the time till I get rescued" theme. Haha. I have yet to read The Life of Pi. Perhaps I will someday.

    ~Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your island sounds nicer than ours.. knowing our luck we'd have no time to pass.. we prepared for worse case senario ! thanks for stopping by !

      Delete
  10. Great choices! I love how you went with the practical route, I just picked books that I love and didn't even consider survival guides :L
    Thanks for checking out My TTT :)
    Samantha @ The Secret life of a Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. yeah it was mostly krishas doing .. such a pessimist ! but heck we will be prepared ! thanks for stopping by! -katie

      Delete
  11. Ah, you went the survival route. And I want to read The Time Traveler's Wife and Life of Pi. Thanks for stopping by!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the best list! I love that you picked so many book to help you survive :-)
    Most of us would of starved whilst reading Harry Potter!

    Thanks for a great list!
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats so funny. love your comment on starving but reading harry potter.. i figured id be too busy trying to eat drink, and make shelter.. reading would be minimal sadly.. plus i envision krisha and i being stranded together.. so we would have each others company . thanks for stopping by! Katie

      Delete
  13. Hey! Actual stuff to help!! Excellent list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job going for the well prepared! I probably wouldn't even last long enough on a desert island to read all my books, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol so true. i mean 10 book have to last you awhile you can't read all day ! thanks for stopping by!! - Katie

      Delete
  15. Coo list, lol. But, I am confident that I have watched enough "Man, Woman, Wild" to survive on a deserted island. :p

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know, without needing survival guides. Forgot to mention that. Though the one on plants that could be used for medicine would be great to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yeah for sure. but maybe it will have some design ideas.. thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  17. Wow. You went literal! Love it. I adore the last two books so hard, too!

    ReplyDelete