Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Earth Day Celebration + Eliza's Forever Trees REVIEW




I am so excited to be part of this book tour.  Earth Day is one of my favorite days of the year.  For those who don't know, I'm currently studying for an masters degree in forest resources.  I truly believe that EVERYONE can and should be contributing to making this world a better place.  There are literally millions of ways to do this.  If you need help or looking for a creative way to make a difference, please don't hesitate to e-mail me and Katie at InkkReviews@gmail.com.  


Eliza's Forever Trees  

Stephanie Lisa Tara & Alex Walton

Published 2012 by Wee Words LLC

Source: paperback given for review

Links: Amazon / Goodreads


Where has mother gone? Mothers don’t leave. Mothers stay, forever. Mothers are like redwood trees, those special forever trees that grow hundreds of feet high and live for thousands of years. Mothers read storybooks aloud. They know the power of a story. Power that can even make the wrong-beats of a child’s heart go away.

Maybe the monarch butterfly was right? Perhaps they should make the journey. The one that was too long, and too far, for a girl with a wrong-beating heart. Yet there was someone in the redwood forest that Eliza just knew could help. Not just any someone. Another mother. The first mother. The one, Eliza’s own mother had spoken of. Great Mother Redwood. The very first, the oldest and wisest redwood tree of them all. She, who started the forest thousands of years ago, might know where mother had gone. It seemed impossible. To find one who had never been seen, one who had only been spoken of? Yet. Mothers don't leave. They are like redwood trees. They stay, forever.

Eliza decided she must try. She would put one foot in front of the other, slowly. She would take small steps. She knew the butterfly would be patient alongside her. Down the path. To the forever trees.

To find Great Mother Redwood. 



My Thoughts

This has to be one of the most amazingly special books that I've read in a long time.  I was truly captivated by Tara's writing.  I was carried deep into the woods with Eliza and felt like I was there with every small step she took.  All of the talking critters had their own unique voices and stories.  One of my favorite scenes in the book is when Eliza in on the brink of sleep and awake when she feels her mother's kiss on her cheek.  As she automatically reached for a hug, she suddenly realized that she never knew her mom to have a cold, damp nose.  When Eliza finally opened her eyes, a pair of soft, kind, brown eyes stared back.  And there was auntie-deer.  She was my favorite character of the entire book.

A few points I must say about reaching the end of this book.  First, reading Eliza's Forever Trees rekindled my desire to travel cross country and visit the majestic Redwoods.  I hope to do this soon. Perhaps I'd find a Mother Redwood. Second, I cannot wait to read this book to my nephews and niece.  I know I'd make my voice change for each critter and really tell this story how it's meant to be told: out loud.  And last, my recommendations.   I recommend this book to nature lovers and those that are looking to connect to nature more; to the young and young at heart; and for those that believe that love is forever.




Now it's time for Two Awesome Giveaways!

                    Giveaway # 1 : Kindle Fire                   




                Giveaway # 2  : Amazon Gift Cards!                




1 comment:

  1. That is such an amazing review! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! I agree that this book truly shouts to be read aloud, it just has this lilting beauty to it.
    Thanks so much for hosting a tour stop and sharing your thoughts about the book!

    ReplyDelete